Safeguarding is important as children are already vulnerable enough, especially children with autism.
“If each of us make safeguarding our business, we build a community that protects our most vulnerable.”
Autism itself does not affect life expectancy, but the risk of early death in individuals with autism is double that of the general population (NAA, 2008).
1. Challenges in communication:
2. Challenging to follow instructions and cooperate
3. Specific and fixated interests
4. Developmental delays obscure the comprehension of danger and safety
Remember! 90% of our energy should be spent on preventative strategies, and 10% on reactive strategies.
Go through the 7 areas of safety that we just mentioned:
1. Autism statistics and facts. Autism Speaks. (n.d.). Retrieved January 1, 2022, from https://www.autismspeaks.org/autism-statistics-asd
2. Autism & Safety Facts. National Autism Association. (n.d.). Retrieved January 1, 2022, from https://nationalautismassociation.org/resources/autism-safety-facts/